The Need: Handmade items for infants including: blankets, booties, hats. Measurements for Blankets: Maximum of 45 inches x 45 inches, minimum of 35 inches x 35 inches.
Our Nurtured Beginnings Program focuses on postpartum support for new parents and babies. Home visits are offered free of charge to parents of newborns up to 12 weeks old in Watauga County. With these home visits we offer information, resources, a listening ear, postpartum depression and anxiety screening and a helping hand during the first 3 months after birth. A care package is provided to each mom that includes a homemade meal, hand-made blankets, booties, hats, and onesies!
Who Needs a Change? of the High Country:
The Need: Diaper Drive
Organizing a diaper drive is fairly simple....
- Obtain permission from the school, church, organization or business.
- Work with your organization to set the dates for the drive.
- Promote the diaper drive with posters, flyers, letters, emails, newsletter or bulletin announcements. Whatever communication works best for you! We have flyers you can modify with the dates and location of your diaper drive.
- After you collect the diapers, call us and we will come pick them up or you can arrange to deliver them to our office in Boone! 828-260-5973
Who Needs a Change is a diaper bank housed at The Children’s Council that supplies diapers to existing social service agencies, food pantries, and anyone who comes into the Children’s Council! We are working to eliminate the diaper need in our community. We believe all children deserve equal care and basic necessities.
The Need: Cocktail Parties
Gather a group of your friends and colleagues in your home or at a local venue to join in on this fun donation idea! Enjoy cocktails, snacks, or whatever you’d like to serve while we come out and give a brief, intimate presentation about our organization and what we do within the community. We’d love to talk and answer any questions that you may have! We provide presentation materials and donation cards.
Indoor/Outdoor Dream Teams:
The Need: Specialty projects at child care centers.
Dream teams complete necessary projects for childcare facilities. These can be indoor or outdoor projects that support early learning, physical activities, or gardening and healthy lifestyles. Contact Roberta Yates at (828) 262-5424 or email@example.com to find out what local facilities are in need of!
-Paint a hallway in a facility
-Build a raised garden
-Install tree stumps for an outdoor story area
-Mini Play Kitchen Sets
General Wish List:
- Good quality book shelves (call to double check measurements)
- Gift cards for purchasing materials for our children's library kits from Staples, Walmart, Amazon, etc.
- Diapers and Pull-ups (all sizes)
- Items for our mini-store, such as: small games; small toys; Play-Doh; baby wipes; baby, child and adult shampoos/conditioners/body washes, lotions, toothpastes; children's toothbrushes; nail clipper sets (any size); any other toiletry items
- Area rugs (new or in like-new condition). Call for sizes needed.
- New vacuum cleaner